Nepal Research and Education Network (NREN) is a non-profit organization registered under Nepal Government and affiliated with Social Welfare Council. This is a consortium in the country active to build national research and education network. It facilitates dedicated advanced research and education network for the research and education communities of Nepal.
NREN was constituted by the professionals working on the theme of ICT for Development. Lack of research environment and the network in terms of resources, infrastructure and access was the key motive towards the establishment of this institution. It aims to strive towards the mitigation of research backwardness via the connection with global research and education network.
To build knowledge based society through the implementation of Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
To create nationwide R&E network and connect them with the global Research and Education (R&E) networks and utilize the resources for the development of the nation.
- Establish high speed dedicated research and education network for the development of national computational grid focusing for research and education.
- Begin connectivity among universities, colleges and research institutions for the sharing of knowledge and information and develop nationwide advanced R&E network.
- Use Asia Pacific Advanced Network (APAN) network as a primary ICT infrastructure to initiate advanced research in the countries.
- Establish NREN as a knowledge center to support good ICT initiatives.
- Promote advanced research in networking technology by deploying high broadband performances.
- Play as facilitator to create an advanced networking environment among R&E communities in the Asia Pacific Region through APAN.
- Provide access to have-nots, includes content development, infrastructure support as well as connectivity for knowledge and information.
- Deployment of the new innovative technology towards measuring emergent issues of global community.
History (Germination of the Idea):
It was 2005, a group of academicians and the professional working on the field of ICT and other development sector come to the conclusion by drawing their real life experience and the observation from the global context, 'there is an adverse gap between researcher and research environment in Nepal'.
The gap was not significantly decreased even though a huge amount of budget had been allocated for the research and education sector by the government, non-government, private and the donor agencies. There was an urgent need to address the problem by the deployment of high speed research environment which was already practiced by the neighboring countries. In this context, the idea for the establishment of NREN was realized and was registered in 2007.
Executive Committee (2009-2011)
Dr.Bhushan Raj Shrestha, Chairman
Mahabir Pun,Vice- Chairman
Gaurab Raj Upadhaya, General Secretary
Kishor Panth, Treasurer
Prashant Manandhar, Member
Dr.Saroj Prasad Dhital, Member
Dr. Subarna Shakya, Member
Suresh Shrestha, Member
Naresh Prasad Shrestha, Member
Ram Balak Singh,Member
Lochan Lal Amatya, Member